All clients are assigned a primary counsellor to provide them with abuse and crisis counselling, support, practical assistance, advocacy, and referrals to relevant community services.
The Role of the Counsellor
When women are admitted into FLRC each is assigned a primary counsellor who will be the go-to person while they are here. The counsellors provide therapeutic and supportive care to moms by discussing with them what their needs are and how FLRC can help them.
All staff provide a non-judgmental, confidential and supportive environment to women and their children.
Counsellors assist women by doing the following:
• Assessing risk and planning for their safety
• Providing resources, referrals and information as requested
• Advocating on their behalf
• Completing a plan of care
• Conducting case conferences with other workers to help support family
• Teaching life skills
• Offering after-care support for up to six months
• Providing listening ears so women can share their stories
• Accompanying women to appointments as necessary