Children residing with their mothers at FLRC receive specialized support through group support and other Centre programming. FLRC staff can also offer further help by referring you to children’s services and other community services and agencies. The Children’s Counsellor provides individual counselling and support services to children and their mothers.
The Children’s Counsellor…
• Provides practical support upon admission.
• Discusses with clients any concerns regarding children’s behaviors and adjustments into the shelter
• Conducts school registration and discharge procedures or gives clients directions to the school to register children
• Provides information and role modeling on parenting skills
• Meets one-on-one with parent to discuss their concerns with children, parenting issues, discipline problems or the effects the abuse have on children
• Provides one-on one or group counseling for children
• Completes referrals and applications for subsidized daycare
• Conducts referral services to other professional agencies
• Is involved in organizing recreational activities for children
• Participates in organizing special events for clients
Life skills groups are held twice a week.
Children’s Referrals in the Community:
• Children’s Aid Society
• H.M.C.S.A.T (Helping Mothers and Children Survive Abuse Together)
• PATHWAYS (Counseling group for domestic violence)
• Peel Children’s Centre & Peel Collaborative Treatment And Sexual Abuse Program
• Early years Centre
• Catholic Family Services
• William Osler Health Centre (Mental Health Issues)
• Rapport Youth Counseling